Here are some tips about pineapple:
- When you select a pineapple, choose one that is plump and slightly soft to the touch.
- The stem should have a sweet aroma.
- Store whole pineapple in the fridge for three days.
- Once cut, tightly sealed pineapple can remain in the fridge for three more days.
Pineapples scream summer! Something about this juicy and delicious fruit makes us think of the beach, pool parties and backyard BBQ's. Pineapples are tasty, but did you know this fruit has some very unique qualities. Here are five fun pineapple facts.
- It takes almost 3 years for a single pineapple to reach maturation.
- Pineapples can be used to make wine.
- Pineapple contain high levels of bromelain, an enzyme that helps with muscle relaxation, digestion and inflammation.
- Bromelain also breaks down proteins which means pineapple is great for tenderizing meat.
- Although still a main producer, the majority of the world's pineapples do not come Hawaii. They come from countries in Southeast Asia like the Philippines and Thailand.